For all training athletes active rest and recovery can be more important than working out.
Training is repetitive stress and recovery is essential for regeneration. The following are some tips for active recovery.
1. Do static stretching on off days. Yoga or pilates are an excellent way to stretch.
2. Take an epsom salt bath. 15 minutes in the tub with Epsom salts will allow the muscles to absorb magnesium, which aides in recovery.
3. Take an ice bath after a long run. A tub filled with only cold water and a bucket of ice is an excellent way to recover.
4. Take a day off of training. Do something you enjoy other than working out.
5. Use a foam roller or the stick to knead out sore areas on your body. Wear recovery type foot wear.
6. Get a good night’s sleep. Sleep is where active recovery takes place. Try to get between 6-8 hours sleep.
7. Do not ignore an injury that is not improving, or is worse when you first wake up.